Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day 21: What Marriage Means To Me

I was only 26 years old when I married Jesse and I must admit that there was a lot more thought put into the wedding than the actual 60 or so years I would be spending with him once the party was over!

Shortly after we returned from our honeymoon, Jesse and I sat down to put into writing what we thought would make a happy marriage.  Here it is:

Our Mission Statement

We will be honest in our opinions and desires.
We will trust each other to never do anything to hurt the other person.
We will also trust that we will treat each other as we would like to be treated.
We will be committed to making our marriage happy and healthy through time and effort.
We will communicate our feelings and concerns so that we can work to solve issues before they become a problem.

We will not take life to seriously or forget to enjoy the simple things, and laugh often.
We will strive to find happiness in activities we do together and separately.

*Honesty*

*Trust*

*Commitment*

*Communication*

*Laughter*

*Happiness*

I think we did pretty good for two newbies in the marriage department but we have also learned a lot since then!  I have learned that it is OK to go to bed mad because the sleep will put a new perspective on whatever the issue was the night before.  I have also learned that the really tough times are what makes a marriage stronger, not the really easy times.  Most importantly I have learned that a happy marriage takes a lot of work but it is definitely worth it.  Our girls live in a happy household and we have two very happy girls to show for it.

2 comments:

  1. Awww that mission statement is so sweet! I'm not married but I totally agree with the it's ok to go to bed mad thing... even if I TRY I can't be mad about it anymore once it's morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. We’re in our 14th year and thank the Lord I finally learned about five years ago that my husband was a person. It is so freeing to love a person. It is so much easier, actually, once your eyes are opened to each other’s humanness, to accept one another as is. That is not to say we stop pushing hard towards growth, but I finally enjoy loving a broken, mess of a person who needs a Savior – because that is me too..

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. I love to see who is visiting our wonderful blog!!